Propane - A Safe Fuel!
Propane is a very safe fuel, but as with any energy source, there are steps you should take to further ensure your safety. Propane Safety Tips:
- Because propane is odorless, an identifying "rotten egg" smell is added so the gas can be readily detected. The same thing is done with natural gas.
- If you detect a gas leak, immediately evacuate everyone from the building and call the fire department from a safe location.
- Never use or tamper with a damaged propane cylinder. Always contact a trained professional for service on your propane tank or cylinder.
- Learn what propane smells like. Propane retailers have scratch-and-sniff pamphlets to help your family recognize its distinctive odor.
- Know where gas lines are located, so you won't damage them when digging or working in the yard.
- Change or clean furnace filters regularly as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Don't store cleaning fluids, oil-soaked rags, gasoline, or other flammable liquids near a gas-burning appliance where vapors could be ignited by the pilot light.